The Equality Diversity Inclusion Team (EDIT) incorporates The Virtual School for Gypsy, Roma, and Traveller pupils. The team provide advice, guidance, and training to help raise the achievement and inclusion of Gypsy, Roma and Traveller children and young people.
The support to settings, schools, colleges, and professionals working with children and young people includes:
- developing whole staff awareness of GRT culture, history, and traditions
- increasing language and ethnicity declarations
- introducing strategies to overcome barriers to education for GRT pupils and their families
- advise on parental and community engagement
- sharing resources and modelling lessons that can be incorporated into a GRT inclusive curriculum
- working alongside staff to engage parents in the life of the school
- provide 1-1 or small group support to engage pupils in their learning
- supporting schools to celebrate Gypsy, Roma, and Traveller History Month (GRTHM)
- GRT inclusive workshops
- GRT - awareness raising assemblies
- promoting the effective use of data to identify any underperformance and evaluate effectiveness of support strategies
- building confidence of staff and pupils to challenge racism and discrimination
- putting the ‘World back into World Book Day’ using GRT oral stories, and books.