Online Safety at Christmas 2018: Template Letter
As Christmas time approaches, it’s likely that many children and young people will be looking forward to receiving technology based gifts under the tree this year. This means the festive period is a great opportunity to highlight simple tips to help parents and carers make safer choices when buying new devices. It may also serve as a timely reminder to encourage parents to consider how they can help their children to keep safer online during the festive period, and beyond.
To help support educational settings the team have created a template letter for Designated Safeguarding Leads, headteachers or managers to adapt and share with their communities.
Additional links to share with parents/carers at Christmas include:
- SWGfL: Holidays, Toys and Tech: A checklist for parents and carers NEW
- Internet Matters:
- Get Safe Online: Connected Christmas NEW
- FOSI: Holiday Gift Coupon Booklet From Kids To Families NEW
- UK Safer Internet Centre – Top tips for staying safe online at Christmas
- Parent Zone: How much screen time is too much this Christmas?
- Common Sense Media: How Plugged-In Families Can Have a Device-Free(ish) Holiday
Settings may wish to use the letter and/or links in its entirely, or use the content within existing communication such as the school/setting newsletter or social media channels. Educational settings may also find it helpful to adapt or share these parent/child contracts or vouchers from FOSI or A letter from Santa for a new device, phone or tablet from The Modern Parent which can be given to children alongside their new devices.
The CEOP Education Team also have helpful advice and links for professionals here.