National Safeguarding Adults Awareness Week: 15th – 21st November 2021
The Kent and Medway Safeguarding Adults Board (KMSAB) will be supporting this year’s National Safeguarding Adults Awareness Week, hosted by the Ann Craft Trust, which is taking place 15th-21st November 2021.
The week aims to raise awareness on the different types of abuse or neglect and how concerns can be reported. We all have a responsibility to look after each other, but some people don’t report their concerns because they don’t know the key signs, feel it isn’t their business or don’t know who they should talk to. The result is that organisations miss out on important information that could help them protect adults from exploitation and abuse. By working together with Kent’s many organisations, we can all empower members of the public to act when they are worried about the welfare of another person and this week is a chance to start a nationwide conversation about safeguarding, so that we can be better together.
Adults can be at risk of different types of abuse and it can happen anywhere. This could be an adult neglecting themselves, or when someone else treats them in a way that harms or hurts them. It can happen once or on multiple occasions. People who abuse adults are not always strangers, they can also be partners, relatives, a friend, neighbour, or carer.
The theme of the week is ‘Creating Safer Cultures’ with each day presenting its own theme:
- Monday – Emotional Abuse and Safeguarding Mental Health
- Tuesday – The Power of Language
- Wednesday – Digital Safeguarding
- Thursday – Adult Grooming and the Ann Craft Trust Safeguarding Conference
- Friday - Creating Safer Organisational Cultures
- Saturday & Sunday – Safeguarding and You
You can help KMSAB to share the key messages on how to recognise abuse and report concerns by following these four steps:
- Visit the KMSAB awareness raising resources website page and download the KMSAB Media Resource Pack
- Share Social Media messages: email [email protected] for access to the content plan
- Host events, big or small: email [email protected] to request merchandise
- Let KMSAB know of your valued contributions via the Activity Report Form.