Guidance on moving onto Year 13
As you should be aware, young people are required to participate in one of the following options until their 18th birthday:
- Stay in full-time education
- Start an apprenticeship or training or
- Spend 20 hours or more a week working (employed or self-employed) or volunteering, while in part-time education or training.
There are over 16,000 young people in Kent moving from Year 12 to Year 13 in September and The Education People on behalf of Kent County Council is here to make sure that they are successful.
Many will have a clear plan for September and we wish them success, but if you are unsure what you would like to do, or need to change your plans we have some tips for you.
- Do something early – the quicker you act, the more likely you are to get something you want
- Contact your school, college or training provider that offered you a place. They may still accept you or offer you an alternative option
- Ask your school or college for advice on your next steps
- You can contact The Education People team on 03000 414 005 if you need further support or guidance if you’re struggling to secure a place for September
- Talk to the Early Help Team at your local youth hub (details below).
- Don’t just leave! This could affect any benefits your family may be claiming. Always have something to go to before leaving
- Go to the school, college or training provider and explain your situation. They will help you find the best course for you
- If you are struggling with what you are doing, talk to the school, college or training provider
- You can contact The Education People team on 03000 414 005 if you need further support or guidance to find something to go to that is best suited for you
- Talk to Early Help Team at your local youth hub (details below).
- West Kent (Maidstone, Tonbridge & Malling and Tunbridge Wells Districts): Sheriden Cawse
03000 418 403 | 07971 776 718 | [email protected]
- North Kent (Dartford, Gravesham and Sevenoaks Districts): Robin Chapple
03000 419 703 | 07710 344 983 | [email protected]
- South Kent (Ashford, Dover and Folkestone & Hythe): Meryl Marshall
03000 417 808 | 07971 729 141 | [email protected]
- East Kent (Canterbury, Swale and Thanet): Samantha Shade
03000 418 863 | 07971 745 219 | [email protected]