Radiation Protection Audit
Many secondary schools and colleges use low-level radioactive sources as part of the national curriculum in science and/or advanced level physics. Under the Ionising Radiations Regulations 1999 (made under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974), the employer is regarded as a radiation employer.
These regulations require all radioactive substances are accounted for, stored properly, handled safely and monitored regularly. This responsibility falls to individual schools and colleges.
Radiation Protection Audits (RPA) are required once every three years.
- An audit carried out by an appointed Radiation Protection Officer to ensure and monitor safe storage, handling and use of radioactive substances on site
- Availability of a qualified Radiation Protection Audit consultant to answer radiation queries beyond the scope of the school Radiation Protection Supervisor
- From April 2020, the cost is £165 a year. This is fixed for 3 years and runs from the 1st April each year. You are committing to an initial 3-year subscription on a rolling contract (until cancelled in writing)
- If you wish to subscribe to Radiation Protection Audits and don’t already have CLEAPSS School Science Membership, you will be required to join the annual membership to comply with Radiation Protection Audit requirements
- If you would like to join please email: email@example.com and confirm whether CLEAPSS School Science Membership is also needed.