Online Grooming: Abuse and Exploitation
“Online Grooming” describes the process of developing a friendship or relationship with a child online, with the intention of abusing or exploiting them - this can include sexual and criminal exploitation as well as for extremism. Offenders may use social networks, online games or live streaming sites to identify and communicate with young people.
Online abuse and exploitation can/may:
- Occur through online chats, pictures, videos or webcams and the young person may never physically meet their abuser
- Begin online then move offline
- Be perpetrated by individuals or groups, males or females, other children or adults
- Be a one-off or a series of incidents over time
- Affect any young person under the age of 18 years.