Top 10 Tips - Trans inclusion in early years foundation stage
Under the Equality Act settings must ensure that transgender staff, transgender children and children of transgender parents/carers are not discriminated against through policy and practice.
Therefore the setting should:
- Keep fully informed of all legislation that protects and promotes the rights of transgender children and adults in service provision
- Check that the Equality Policy is up to date and states clearly that transgender parents, staff and children are welcomed and any discrimination towards them will be challenged
- Ensure that the language in documents and information leaflets does not indicate that 'family' just means a two-parent heterosexual family
- Address all prejudicial and discriminatory remarks and actions immediately in order to create an environment of trust and openness
- Run awareness raising workshops for staff on issues relating to the transgender community
- Encourage both girls and boys to feel confident in their exploration of roles and gender e.g. daddy stays at home and looks after me and mummy works
- Provide resources such as books and visual stimuli which reflect non-gender specific roles Transgender friendly books for young children
- Use non-gender specific language e.g. avoid groupings by boy/girl, say "well done you listened carefully", rather than "good girl/good boy"
- Do an audit of provision to reduce gender specific issues e.g. uniform, toilets
- Ensure that the early years curriculum values and celebrates identity and diversity